Empowering people with disabilities to develop skills for independence and to actively participate in the community.
The organization known today as LifeBridge Partnership (formerly St. Louis Society for the Physically Disabled) began serving children with physical disabilities in 1927. During our 90 year history, we have evolved to meet the ever changing needs of people with disabilities in this community.
We are excited to announce that our Board of Directors has decided to adopt LifeBridge Partnership as the new name for the agency effective Feb. 1, 2014.
We believe LifeBridge Partnership captures the essence of our mission of “empowering people with disabilities to develop skills for independence and to actively participate in the community.”
Literally, the word “bridge” is defined as a structure or path crossing over a physical obstacle or barrier. Bridges also provide a connection from one place to another. Conceptually, a bridge creates connections that help cross over or overcome life’s obstacles. It’s in this sense that we are a structure, a connection, a “LifeBridge” for participants throughout their lives.
The word “partnership” is inclusive and welcoming with a promise that “We are in this together!” Partnership illustrates the idea of a larger group dynamic at work. It also promotes equality by emphasizing abilities and relationships that are connected on equal footing.
Change is an inevitable part of life.
This agency’s evolution has taken many forms since our founding in 1927, including expanding to serve adults, discontinuing our affiliation with the National Easter Seals Society in 1981, broadening our scope to serve people with developmental disabilities and starting Sports Camp in 1983 … just to name a few.
And, it was with honor and respect for our history that the Board of Directors decided to adopt LifeBridge Partnership as the name to take us many years into the future.